Lawyer to Epstein's Cell Mate Calls For Probe Into Lost Video Footage
Jeffrey Epstein’s ex-cellmate’s lawyer is now demanding an investigation into the recent announcement that the video footage taken of Epstein’s cell on the night that he allegedly committed suicide had been erased.
“Bruce Barket wants White Plains federal court Judge Kenneth Karas to grant a hearing into how the Metropolitan Correctional Center could have destroyed the July 23 footage — especially when he asked it be preserved for his defense of accused killer cop Nicholas Tartaglione,” the New York Post reports.
Barket made it clear in his filing that he wants to know “to what extent the destruction of the video was deliberate or reckless, and whether there was any bad faith on the part of the Government in connection with the video’s destruction.”
The New York Post reports:
While Epstein told his lawyers he’d been attacked by Tartaglione, Barket said his client has been cleared by the feds and actually was responsible for saving Epstein’s life during the July suicide attempt.
The 66-year-old was found dead the next month in his cell as he awaited trial on sex trafficking charges.
Authorities ruled his death a suicide by hanging.
Last week, NBC News, broke the news that the the video surveillance footage had been permanently deleted.
NBC reports that the video footage is now gone because Metropolitan Correctional Center officials “mistakenly” saved the wrong footage.
The MCC “inadvertently preserved video from the wrong tier within the MCC and as a result, video from outside the defendant’s cell on July 22-23, 2019 no longer exists,” the court papers said.
This breaking discovery was made last week by the FBI.
“After reviewing the video, it appeared to the government that the footage contained on the preserved video was for the correct date and time, but captured a different tier than the one where (the cell housing Epstein and his cellmate] was located because the preserved video did not show corrections officers responding to any of the cells seen on the video.”
Check out what NBC News reported:
The filing was made in a case involving Nicholas Tartaglione, a former police officer in Westchester County, who was Epstein’s cellmate on the day of the incident. Tartaglione is awaiting trial on charges of killing four men and burying them in his yard in 2016. Prosecutors allege that the ex-cop was involved in a cocaine distribution conspiracy.
The July incident was investigated as a possible suicide attempt, assault or ruse by Epstein to get himself transferred to a different facility. Tartaglione’s lawyer, as part of an effort to exonerate his client, asked the jail to preserve footage from outside the cell.
The MCC agreed to the request but officials saved the wrong video because of a clerical error. “The MCC computer system listed a different, incorrect cell for Tartaglione,” prosecutors said in the court filing.
It is extremely hard to believe that this “mistake” was actually a mistake at all.